Tuesday, May 27, 2008

DOUBLE TAKE #2: THE DATING WILDERNESS

Another 'double take', this time following the theme of 'series of sleazy guys interrupting the search for Mr. Right'. A common theme for female singers, indeed, but there's a few similarities here.


I don't want a rich man, but I don't want a poor man either. I don't want a genius, but I don't want an idiot either! Is it too much to ask for somebody decent? Something that might last for longer than an evening?

Can't knock em out, can't walk away, try desperately to think of the politest way to say, "Just get out my face, just leave me alone, and no you can't have my number." "Why?" "Because I've lost my phone."


Released within a year of each other (2006 and 2007 respectively) by budding British pop chanteuses, each of these songs landed on their excellent debut albums. One artist was a staple in my LastFM Top 10 for a long time, and the other had multiple slots down on my Top 100 Songs of 2007 post. Both are cute, even if one ended up with much more media attention than the other.

Both songs deal with two specific annoying-guy incidents while hinting at more in the chorus, one's given up on finding anyone decent while the other is losing hope. Both even quote their guys extensively; one song is their conversations with the sleazes, and the other is mostly monologues from their 'dates from hell'.

Congratulations girl, you've got twins.

Lily Allen - Knock 'em Out (from Alright, Still, 2006)
Remi Nicole - Dates From Hell (from My Conscience and I, 2007)

Search for more at The Hype Machine. Purchase albums or mp3's at Amazon, Amazon Canada, Amie St., cdbaby, or Insound.

~

(Note: When comparing their debut albums, I begin to start thinking Nicole is the good twin to Allen's just plain mean twin. You've also got two songs preaching doing what feels right: Nicole's hopeful "Go With the Flow" and Allen's don't-listen-to-the-old-fogeys "Take What You Take"; and two kiss off songs about unsatisfactory boyfriends getting the boot: Nicole's reluctant goodbye, "Na Nighty", and Allen's vicious sendoff "Not Big". Just sayin', it's interesting.)

No comments: