Saturday, July 5, 2008

ROULETTE 18

You know the drill!

1. The Pierces - Louisa
Album: Light of the Moon (2005)

A golden oldie from my favourite pair of sisters, this is from their folkier days. Despite it having a little less bite, I love the dreamy quality of it; it reminds me a little of Sarah McLachlan's "Adia".

2. Juliette and the Licks - Rid of Me (PJ Harvey cover)
Album: -

Taking the mindblowing PJ Harvey song, this cover takes pretty much identical background music but with completely different (and yet, very nice) vocals.

3. Natalie Portman's Shaved Head - Me + Yr Daughter
Album: Glistening Pleasure (2008)

I should disdain Shaved Head just for their bizarre pop culture dependant name, but after listening to this roguishly charming and noisy dance pop song, I've become rather fond of it. Yay heavy dance beats, manic excitement and taunting-slash-begging lyrics directed to a love interest's parents!

4. Portishead - Glory Box (live)
Album: Roseland NYC [Live] (1998)

I could have sworn I had already shared this utterly excellent live version of an old favourite, from a live CD picked up at a local Used CD rack, but a quick check tells me I'm wrong. Time to correct that mistake!

5. Emilie Autumn - Dead is the New Alive
Album: OpheliaC (2006)

There's something in this dark, moody track that really excites. Perhaps its the interesting lyricism, or the low, powerful vocals. Maybe it's the tense atmosphere it creates, or the fact that very little else I listen to sounds quite like Emilie Autumn. Maybe it's just plain awesome.

And remember, search for more at The Hype Machine; purchase albums or mp3's at Amazon, Amazon Canada, Amie St., cdbaby, or Insound.

No comments: