Sunday, August 31, 2008

DOUBLE TAKE #3: WINE? GOOD.

After a long hiatus for this mini-feature, I had another epiphany. Two songs I like very much, with a swaggering (or perhaps merely drunkenly stumbling) confidence, a twinkle in the eye, and a feeling of true indulgence. The biggest thing, though, has to be the wine...


I'm put together beautifully, big wet bottle in my first, big wet rose in my teeth. I'm a perfect piece of ass, like every Californian, so tall I take over the street, with high beams shining up my back, wingspan unbelieveable. I'm a festival, a parade. And all the wine is all for me.

So summer stains a sky with inky swirls that bring the thunder low. But I don't mind, I'm doing things and doing them with you. And if you're smart you'll put that book back down; you'll drag me to the floor, drag me down for more drinking wine, drinking wine in the afternoon...

Both released by critically acclaimed indie bands with their fair share of rabid fans; both bands with fantastic male vocalists. For The National, this is a moment of fun in their usually contemplative mood, while Franz Ferdinand is no beginner to mischief. Both are great to brighten up an afternoon, and maybe tempt you to crack open a bottle yourself.

Congratulations guys, you've got twins.

The National - All the Wine (from Alligator, 2005)
Franz Ferdinand - Wine in the Afternoon (from Eleanor Put Your Boots On single, 2006)

Search for more at The Hype Machine. Purchase albums or mp3's at Amazon, Amazon Canada, Amie St., cdbaby, or Insound.

No comments: