Friday, April 25, 2008

ROULETTE 11

Another roulette for you guys, both for some variety and to show off some new acquisitions...

Russian Red - No Past Land

I recently got my hands on Spanish indie band Russian Red's I Love Your Glasses, and it's enchanting. Lourdes Hernandez has a gorgeous voice, different than most of those I listen to. It's dark and beautiful and an excellent newcomer, even if information about the band is sparse. This album improves with every listen.

The Dresden Dolls - Night Reconnaissance

The first single for The Dresden Dolls' b-sides compilation, No, Virginia..., I'm a fan of the lyrics but still warming to the song itself. Though it's quite a good song, and as personally-relevant as the best of Palmer's work, the song works against her voice in many places instead of enhancing it. That said, I can't wait for the album and hope this song grows on me like most of the Dolls' previous work has.

Radiohead - (Nice Dream)

This is far from new. It is, in fact, from Radiohead's 1995 album The Bends, which I uncovered in a stack of old CDs of my sister's that I haven't listened to in years. I feel nostalgic every time I hear it, because though I can barely remember back then I used to listen to it occasionally on my old CD player. This was always my favourite off the disc, though "Fake Plastic Trees" went on to become an omnipresent cover in the current scene.

Moloko - The Time is Now

I've also gotten Catalogue, the compilation for Moloko - aka Roisin Murphy's old band. I've always liked Roisin, and I'm now discovering Moloko might also be something to look into. "The Time is Now" is quite nice, pretty different from the more-intense songs Murphy creates.

My Brightest Diamond - The Brightest Diamond (alternately known as 'The Diamond')

From My Brightest Diamond's (to be released) sophomore album, this song is a quiet, hazy and beautiful piece. Shara Worden, at the core of this project, has created a beautiful landscape of a love song filled with regret, and her vocals are the showcase here (as always). It's operatic in its scope, classical in its sound, with both strumming and soaring strings. It's different than the sound of Bring Me the Workhorse, but that's far from a bad thing.

No comments: