Saturday, March 22, 2008

ROULETTE 8

Another roulette! I'm enjoying throwing these together more and more, as I get to show off what I'm listening to recently or what I'm thinking about without linking them in any real specific way. One theme running through this post, actually, is wonderful female singers, so enjoy!



Amy Macdonald - Footballer's Wife (Sendspace link)
Album: This is the Life (2007)

A friend recently pointed me towards the lovely Ms. Macdonald, and then another mentioned the name, so I couldn't resist and grabbed her debut album. This wonderful Scottish lass is slowly creeping up on me. This is the best I've heard from her album, though I'm still warming to her as a whole.

Idina Menzel - I Feel Everything (Sendspace link)
Album: I Stand (2008)

I fell in love with Menzel when I heard her as Elphaba on the Wicked soundtrack, and her new album, I Stand, has only cemented that. This song, about the emotional connection between lovers, in particular showcases her amazing range and vulnerability, without being forced to sing quietly like other singers might have to be. Her Tony award-winning stage presence shows even in studio recordings for her album. I Stand is a genuine contender for 2008's best album this early in the game.

Hanne Hukkelberg - Do Not As I Do (Sendspace link)
Album: Little Things (2005)

This beautiful Norwegian singer is gaining buzz for her recent album, Rykestrasse 68, but I've only gotten my hands on Little Things so far. However, getting into this album is a treat, and this low key affair is definitely a nice addition to my collection. I love the simplicity of the hook, "Do as I say, not as I do... or you'll feel blue!" It sounds overly simplistic in pure text, but it works nicely sung.

Dolores O'Riordan - Ordinary Day (Morgan Page Remix) (Sendspace link)
Album: Are You Listening? (2007) [Original song]

I always liked O'Riordan's lead single for her solo album (though I much preferred the overlooked "Black Widow"), and I've recently begun to dig into Morgan Page's remixes. Anyone who read the review I posted of his new album knows that Page is on of few remixers I hold in esteem even in his missteps, and thus this was a nice treat to come across. Not as flat-out excellent as his take on Regina Spektor's "Fidelity", but still quite an interesting (in a good way) shot at reinventing the song.

Shivaree - Lost in a Dream (Sendspace link)
Album: Who's Got Trouble (2005)

I've had a song or two from Who's Got Trouble for a long time, but only recently did I finally come across the full album in its nostalgic glory. This is one such song, a little jazzy and very nice. This is one of the reasons that Trouble is much easier to get into compared to recent offerings Rough Dreams and covers album Tainted Love: Mating Calls and Fighting Songs, both of which are far too inaccessible - but happen to be worth the effort. Shivaree are just so easy to listen to, and sexy in an understated kind of way.

There's a lot of damn good female vocalists around these days, and I'm happy to slowly uncover them. Anyone who claims I'm biased in favour of female singers is probably right, as they populate my favourite singers' lists in a big way. Maybe next time a guy will slip his way into the mix.

Also, big news! Those who know me personally know it's been one of my personal quests to get tBoS listed on the fabulous Hype Machine, quickly becoming one of my favourite websites of all time for making access to blogs and new mp3's so easy. I was surprised and honoured to find that The Bringer of Song is now, in fact, listed there. I can't think of any surprise that could possibly top this. Not even getting a sneak peek at Amanda Palmer's debut album, though I admit that would be a close second (damn you Neil Gaiman!). Anyhow, if you're not already familiar with this site, you should get familiar. Though, you might find that there are far more interesting places to be than my poor lil blog.

No comments: